Photo Session Information & FAQ's
The Portrait Process
It may have been a long time since you last had your portrait done, so things may be done differently since then. Also, we may do things differently than other studios ... so here is how our process works:
- contact us to choose a package, make an appointment & choose a location
- we have pre-session consultation to go over the details of your session
- your professional portraits are taken
- within a few days your photos are ready for viewing & ordering in a private gallery online
- you choose the images you want and place your order
- we complete your order and arrange delivery to you (via digital downloads or mail)
Did you Know? - Prints made at most department stores are rated to last only 30 years?
- We use archival Photo Lustre Paper that is rated to last 100 years!
- We can print whatever size you need, from 2 inches x 2 inches to 2 feet by 4 feet. We can also laminate each photo using a dry laminate process that protects your photos from fingerprints, tearing, moisture and fading.
All print sizes are available. The following are standard sizes:
- 2 x 3 (Wallet)
- 3.5 x 5
- 4 x 6
- 5 x 7
- 8 x 10
- 11 x 14
- 16 x 20
- 20 x 24
- 24 x 30
Please contact us for the our complete Size & Price List
Photo Session Clothing Tips
'Keep it Simple' is a good rule of thumb when approaching clothing selection
Solid colors are preferred. Do not wear large or bold patterns, or stripes and bright colors such as bright white, bright red, bright yellow.
Do Not wear white clothing if possible.
Please no writing or logos on any of the shirts or sweaters. Horizontal stripes and patterns are very distracting and make you appear larger than what you are.
Darker colours are generally better than lighter colours. In general, the best colors are medium shades of blue, green, burgundy, purple, or rust. Pastels are OK!
Remember some of these portraits will be full length, so be sure that your shoes and/or socks go with your outfit. Make sure socks cover the ankles and have no holes.
Having you both dressed in a similar style is ideal but not imperative. If one person wears jeans – both wear jeans. If one person dresses more formal, both dress more formal.
For tops, having the same overall tone looks great. Make sure to avoid any one person having a brighter top than everyone else – they will glow in the photo. So no dark top on one of you and a light top on the other. Just try to keep the colours close in brightness, tone and colour coordination.
Long-sleeved outfits are recommended for adults. Our goal is to have your faces be the most eye-catching area of the portrait. The less amount of skin tone that competes with your faces the better. However, If it is warm out, then, of course, short sleeves or sleeveless dresses are ok!
Coordinate your clothing from head to toe, paying attention to both shoes and/or socks.
Make-Up > avoid makeup that has sparkles/glitter, shine agents or sunscreen/sunblock in them. Otherwise, you are free to wear your makeup as you wish for outdoors.
Try not to carry anything bulky in your pockets.
Plan to travel light and wear comfortable shoes as we will be doing some walking from location to location.It’s going to be a fun session and you will be directed as to exactly what to do.
I’ll do a little tutorial before we start as to how to look your best and most natural.
Then your only job is to relax, have fun, and be your happy selves!
Can we make suggestions for our photography?
- Yes - absolutely! We would love to help you personalize your images by incorporating your suggestions, ideas and preferences.
How do I book a session?
- Just send me an email with the date you have in mind and we'll go from there.
What does "Lab Ready Editing" mean?
- You may find some Photographers offer photos to you as "Lab Ready". This means your images are adjusted usually en masse, for colour balance, exposure. This is basic editing to have your photos made ready to printed at any Photo Lab, hence the term, "Lab Ready".
- Don Epp Photography only provides 'Premium' editing as described below:
What does "Premium Retouching & Editing" mean for Portait Photos?
- Our Premium Editing takes your images to a whole new level. We go through each image on the computer to individually adjust colour balance, exposure, contrast, sharpening and cropping. We will also retouch any blemishes, adjust for smooth and radient skin, remove stray hairs, brighten eyes, whiten teeth, and retouch any other distracting elements that may be present, so when we send the images to a professional print lab, you get exactly the image you want. Our Premium Editing service produces higher quality photos than other vendors that only provide the "Lab Ready" level of editing.
When will I receive my pictures?
- Delivery of your digital images will be three to six days. The actual time will depend on the package you select. Your photos will be password protected on-line for you to review and select the ones you'd like.
Do you provide negatives/image files?
- Yes - You can order a CD or DVD with all the digital images you select. You will own the Discs and have exclusive rights to unlimited printing, website use & sharing, and to supply relatives and friends with copies or prints. We only retain the copyright to the images.
For more information and/or to book a photo session, please send us an email on the Contact Us page.